Careers with a Cause
The YMCA of San Francisco was named as one of the Bay Area's Best Places to Work by its employees as well as one of the Healthiest Employers. Join our team and make a lasting impact every day in communities across San Francisco, San Mateo and Marin Counties. Every day, our staff—of all ages and from diverse backgrounds and life experiences—are transforming lives through YMCA programs for youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility.
In order to keep staff and participants as safe and healthy as possible, all staff working on-site will be required to be vaccinated (COVID-19) prior to beginning work.
About the Job
The Aquatics Coordinator monitors the quality of safety, programming, member retention, and customer satisfaction in the swim lesson program. This position is responsible for assisting with the supervision and mentoring of the lifeguards and swim lesson instructors, coordinating operational schedules of the pool and swim lesson programs, staff training, and ensuring safe operations according to our policies and standards. They will uphold the safety of the aquatic environment in general, including leading the annual Safety Around Water Week. They will assist in conducting in-services and trainings for the swim instructors and act on deck lead for swim lessons on Saturday mornings. They will teach swim lessons and lifeguard as needed.
- Minimum 18 years of age
- High school diploma or equivalent
- Previous aquatics experience as a swim instructor and lifeguard
- Minimum of 2 years of swim instructor and/or guarding experience
- Must be available for staff meetings, community events, and all operational hours as needed
- Must be available to work 5 days per week, Tuesday-Saturday consistently, and oversee Saturday morning lessons- hours and days may vary depending on staff availability
- Effective customer service, interpersonal as well as written and verbal communication skills
- Basic computer skills, including Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and Google Drive/Docs
- Current YMCA approved First Aid/CPR/Oxygen and Lifeguard certifications within 30 days or first available
- Must attend all YMCA of SF required leadership trainings within 90 days
- Attend all YSF required leadership trainings within 90 days and work toward completing the Team Leader competency within first two years of hire
- College degree
- Strong aquatics background and leadership experience
- Experience supervising other swim instructors
- At least 1 year of supervisory experience
- Bi-lingual in Spanish and English
- YMCA Lifeguard Instructor and Y Swim Lessons Instructor within 6 months or at first available training
All employees working with the YMCA are considered to have supervisory or disciplinary action relationship over minors. Job offers are conditional and contingent upon background clearance. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and CA Fair Chance Act, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.