About the Program
The Brain Health Program is a collaborative effort among Posit Science (creator of BrainHQ), the YMCA of San Francisco, and experts in brain health at UCSF. Our 12-week lifestyle change program will be facilitated by a trained lifestyle coach, and offered in a group setting with up to 12 participants at a YMCA of San Francisco location or virtually.
The program curriculum includes cognitive training, social engagement, physical activity, nutrition, sleep, and stress management methods previously shown to reduce the identified risk factors for the onset of dementia. There is no cost to participate in the program, and all eligible participants will be given access to the BrainHQ software, a membership at the YMCA of San Francisco, and will also receive compensation for fulfilling the requirements of the study for the duration of the program.
You will be asked to answer questionnaires and complete assessments to determine eligibility. The questionnaires and assessments will be completed before and after the program. You will be asked to engage in the Brain Health Program by attending weekly 1-hour group-based meetings over a 12-week period. The classes will be held at a YMCA of San Francisco location and/or remotely via zoom.
Wednesdays, May 10-July 26
11:00 am-12:00 pm
Stonestown Y Annex, Peterson Room, 3150 20th Ave, San Francisco (cross-street Eucalyptus)
To be eligible for this program:
- You are at least 65 years of age
- You meet the criteria for one or more Alzheimer’s disease or dementia risk factors such as:
- Family history of Alzheimer’s dementia (1st degree relative)
- Genetic marker (APOE4++)
- Subjective or objective cognitive decline
- Poorly controlled hypertension or diabetes Physical inactivity of <150 min/week
- Social isolation
- You are fluent in English You are able to provide informed consent
- You are able to attend all 12 classes (once a week for 12 weeks) and make up missed classes, as needed.
- You are able to travel to/from the YMCA location, if you are a part of an in-person group
- You have access to an internet accessible device (e.g., laptop, desktop computer, tablet, or smartphone)
- You do not have untreated psychiatric conditions You are not enrolled in another research study that could affect the outcomes of this study
Let's Get Started!
We want to hear from you, please follow the button below to opt-in to the programs interest list to help us decide where our programs will be offered in our community!