Lap Lanes for Swimming
Lap swim is a great opportunity for swimmers to work at their own pace. During our lap swimming times, you can just jump in and get moving. Lap swim is available to YMCA of San Francisco active paying members only.
What to Know
- No towels will be available. You are encouraged to bring your own.
- Please check with your branch regarding lap swim rules & etiquette
- State Health Laws:
- Every person must shower before entering the pool, sauna, steam room, or spa. Limit to 2 minutes.
- No person with open wounds or communicable diseases are allowed in the pool or spa.
For your safety, please:
- Obey rules set by lifeguard. Walk, don’t run.
- Refrain from pushing or rough play.
- Wear bathing suits and shower shoes only.
- Please no undergarments, thongs or street clothes.
- Do not eat, drink, or chew gum in the aquatic environment.
- Do not spit in or around the pool area.
- Only use plastic containers.
- Refrain from cell phone/camera/video use Lifeguards have the right to swim test all bathers.
- Max capacity per lane is 4 persons
YOUTH GUIDELINES FOR POOL USE
Lifeguards will swim test all youth bathers.
Green Band Swim Test (for youth in water armpit depth or higher) - 50 yard swim of any stroke without stopping or assistance, and treading water for 1 minute
YOUTH AGES 0-5
- Are not permitted in YMCA facilities unless registered for a specific Youth Program or are participating with an adult in their Household during reserved Recreation/Household swim times.
YOUTH AGES 6-10
- The child must pass a swim test before permitted to swim autonomously and without a PFD during Recreation/Household swim. Parent/Guardian must be in the pool if the child does not pass the swim test.
READY TO SWIM?
We have 6 beautiful pools for you!
Enjoy aqua aerobics, water walking, family rec swim and all the benefits of low-impact pool workouts.
Adult Private & Semi-Private Swim Lessons
Private and Semi-Private Swim Lessons are an opportunity to work with a Certified YMCA Swim Lesson Instructor while maintaining COVID safety protocols. You’ll receive expert guidance through coaching and instruction as your Swim Instructor works with you to build your own customized swim lesson program.
In order to participate in Private or Semi-Private Swim lessons, you need to purchase a Private or Semi-Private Lesson package.
Semi-Private sessions are up to 3 participants from the same household working with one of our Certified Instructors. The recommendation for semi-private participants are to have similar goals, swim experience, and availability, but is not necessary.
HOW IT WORKS
You’ll fill out a form asking about availability and swim experience that will be sent to an Aquatics Director who will pair you with one of our Certified Swim Lesson Instructors for on-going swim lessons that work with your availability.
Swim Lesson packages are available in bundles of 4 or Single** sessions in 30 minute increments, for one to three participants per session.
**can be used only as add-on to a 4 pack
ONE PARTICIPANT (PRIVATE)
- 4 Sessions - Facility Member: $220
- 4 Sessions - Community Participant: $265
- Single Add-On Session - Facility Member: $55
- Single Add-On Session - Community Participant: $66.25
UP TO 3 PARTICIPANTS (SEMI-PRIVATE)
- 4 Sessions - Facility Member: $196/person
- 4 Sessions - Community Participant: $235/person
- Single Add-On Session - Facility Member: $49/person
- Single Add-On Session - Community Participant: $58.75/person
Our program and waitlist is highly impacted at many of our branches. Any Private Swim Lesson request will not be available at branches with more than 100 requests. Requests are only available for branches listed on the form.
Already on the waitlist?
An Aquatics Director will reach out to you once a spot opens up.
Group Swim Lessons
At the Y, we believe swimming is an important life skill. Our Group Swim lessons prepare individuals of all ages to be strong and confident swimmers. Using a skill based continuum in a safe environment, students learn to stay safe and have fun while in the water.
HOW IT WORKS
Registration can be done online via our community portal or in-person at our Member Services Desk.
Priority registration is given to participants who are enrolled in the current session with a valid report card from an instructor and/or registration code. Priority registration dates correspond to the session in which the participant is currently enrolled and begins one day prior to open registration.
Open registration is available to the general public at any location.
Open Registration Dates
Sessions between May 24 - June 25 - Open registration 5/16 - 5/22
6/6/2022 – 7/3/2022
No lessons 7/2-7/4
6/6/2022 – 7/31/2022
No lessons 7/2 – 7/4
Group Swim Lesson pricing is determined by the amount of lessons in a session and are 30 min in length.
Group Lesson pricing
Facility Member: $22.50 per person per lesson
Community Participant: $28.15 per person per lesson
Financial Aid is available.