Healthy Living for Life
Prevention is Possible
Recent research shows 46% of California residents have prediabetes.
If you're at risk for type 2 diabetes, lifestyle changes such as getting regular physical activity, eating a variety of healthy foods and losing a modest amount of weight can cut diabetes risk and lead to a healthier way of life.
The Y’s Diabetes Prevention Program is proving to be a model that can help you achieve these changes.
Our Diabetes Prevention Program is a one-year lifestyle modification program designed for adults aged 18 or older who are overweight and at high risk for type 2 diabetes. The evidence-based program supports participants to reach a healthier weight and achieve an active lifestyle to reduce diabetes risk.
- Attend 26 one-hour sessions over 12 months
- Small-group, supportive environment (8-15 people)
- Led by a trained Lifestyle Coach offering guidance and motivation
- 6 months of YMCA membership included!
Since 2014, the Y of San Francisco has served more than 1000 people across three counties in three languages.
In our one-year program, participants:
- Lose an average of 4% body weight (about 8 pounds for a 200-pound person)
- Achieve an average physical activity level of 106 minutes per week
- Self-report a reduction in portion sizes
Recognized by the CDC
The YMCA of San Francisco is part of the National Diabetes Prevention Program from the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC).
Full recognition is reserved for diabetes prevention programs that have effectively delivered quality, evidence-based programming that meets all of the standards for CDC recognition including use of a CDC-approved curriculum and trained lifestyle coaches who can help build participants’ skills and confidence to make lasting lifestyle changes.
Read our Notice of Privacy Practices
To qualify, you must:
- Be aged 18 or older
- Be overweight (BMI >24.9, for Asians >22.9) - check your BMI here
- Have Prediabetes verified via a confirmatory blood value, Gestational Diabetes during previous pregnancy or a qualifying risk score. Individuals with a current or previous health history of type 2 diabetes do not qualify for this program
Please check back later for new dates for online sessions.
ENGLISH In-person, Peninsula Family YMCA
- Tuesdays from 6:30 pm - 7:30 pm beginning November 14, 2023. Open enrollment through December 5, 2023.
ENGLISH In-person, Bayview Hunters Point YMCA
- Wednesdays from 6:00 pm - 7:00 pm beginning February 7, 2024. Open enrollment through February 28, 2024.
$109 per month for 6 months. YMCA membership included!
- Financial Assistance is available to those who qualify.
- Employer and Insurance coverage may be available—there is no cost to Active and Eligible Members of San Francisco Health Plan and Health Plan of San Mateo as well as those within San Francisco Health Network - Provider Referral Required.