Careers with a Cause
The YMCA of San Francisco was named as one of the Bay Area's Best Places to Work by its employees as well as one of the Healthiest Employers. Join our team and make a lasting impact every day in communities across San Francisco, San Mateo and Marin Counties. Every day, our staff—of all ages and from diverse backgrounds and life experiences—are transforming lives through YMCA programs for youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. When you work for the Y, you’ll be supported with training, mentoring and career development opportunities. Plus, we offer great benefits to help you grow stronger in spirit, mind and body, even as you’re helping others.
About the Job
The Member Engagement Associate is responsible for creating and nurturing a seamless and meaningful YMCA member experience, from first point of contact with the Y to daily engagement of current members. The candidate demonstrates the Y’s core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility and implements the Y’s Member Engagement Principals of welcome, connect, support and invite during all member and guest interactions. The candidate is expected to maintain general knowledge of the facility, program and activities of the Y and provides service and information to members, controls access to the facility and creates a fun and safe environment for all.
This position has a significant impact on the quality and effectiveness of the Membership Department and the YMCA of San Francisco’s Member Engagement Strategy. The candidate possesses strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills and must have the ability to sell memberships and programs, as well as conduct cause-driven tours. The candidate must be able to provide quality customer service to all members and guests and learn in a fast-paced environment; work well in a team setting and at an individual level and have the ability to apply creative problem-solving to ensure member satisfaction and retention; and can respond to safety and emergency situations as directed.
There is no organization quite like the Y, and it’s essential that we convey this through our visual and verbal communications. If this sounds like you, we want to meet you!
- Aged 18 years or older.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Two or more years of related experience in a service, sales or office environment.
- Basic knowledge of computers and general office equipment.
- Passion for working with people of culturally, ethnically and socio-economically diverse backgrounds.
- Knowledge of basic health, nutrition and fitness is encouraged but not required.
- Must be flexible to a schedule that can include some nights, early mornings and weekends.
- Bilingual fluency in English and Cantonese, Mandarin, or Spanish preferred, but not required.
- Complete all mandatory trainings within 90 days of hire.
- All staff hired into this position are evaluated within 90 days for effectiveness.
All employees working with the YMCA are considered to have supervisory or disciplinary action relationship over minors. Job offers are conditional and contingent upon background clearance. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and CA Fair Chance Act, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.