Careers with a Cause
Imagine going to work knowing that what you do each day positively influences the lives of people and communities. As the nation’s leading nonprofit organization committed to strengthening communities through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility, the YMCA of San Francisco offers more than just a job—we offer you a career with a future and the chance to make a lasting difference in your community. At the Y, you can discover your passion and a lifelong career helping to solve some of the nation’s most pressing social issues.
In order to keep staff and participants as safe and healthy as possible, all staff working on-site will be required to be vaccinated (COVID-19) prior to beginning work.
About the Job
Under the supervision of the Youth & Family Director, BOLD and GOLD Instructors are responsible for preparing for and leading the BOLD/GOLD Teen Backpacking Programs for the YMCA of San Francisco through the Point Bonita YMCA. The BOLD (Boys Outdoor Leadership Development) & GOLD (Girls Outdoor Leadership Development) Program is dedicated to inspiring courage and confidence in diverse groups of adolescent youth through outdoor adventures. The program traditionally runs single-gender expeditions of 4-10 days in length in a variety of outdoor settings such as Yosemite, Desolation Wilderness, Point Reyes, and the Santa Cruz Mountains. Responsibilities include facilitating the learning of outdoor skills during these wilderness-based backpacking courses; ensuring a physically and emotionally safe environment for all staff and participants; creating a values-forming experience, an inclusive environment for youth; developing curriculum; preparing gear and food for trips; and problem-solving issues that arise during trips.
- Minimum age: 21 years old
- Experience working with youth, including experience leading youth in outdoor settings
- Proficient swimmer
- Experience backpacking, cooking, and camping in the outdoors
- Excellent judgement and decision-making skills
- Success working with people across multiple dimensions of diversity
- Ability to be respectful and professional when working with others
- Willingness to learn conflict mediation, restorative practice, and YMCA youth development skills
- Lifeguard, First Aid, and CPR certification (or ability to obtain within 90 days of hire)
- Current CPR and W-EMT, Wilderness First Aid, or Wilderness First Responder certification (or ability to obtain within 90 days of hire)
- Fingerprint background check clearance
- Proof of COVID Vaccination is required
- 2 or more seasons of BOLD/GOLD Trip experience
- Completion of BOLD/GOLD National Train the Trainer Certificate
All employees working with the YMCA are considered to have supervisory or disciplinary action relationship over minors. Job offers are conditional and contingent upon background clearance. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and CA Fair Chance Act, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records