Careers with a Cause
The YMCA of San Francisco was named as one of the Bay Area's Best Places to Work by its employees as well as one of the Healthiest Employers. Join our team and make a lasting impact every day in communities across San Francisco, San Mateo and Marin Counties. Every day, our staff—of all ages and from diverse backgrounds and life experiences—are transforming lives through YMCA programs for youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. When you work for the Y, you’ll be supported with training, mentoring and career development opportunities. Plus, we offer great benefits to help you grow stronger in spirit, mind and body, even as you’re helping others.
About the Job
Under the supervision of the Aquatics Director, the Lifeguard Coordinator oversees the staffing (including the recruiting, hiring, training, scheduling and evaluating) of the branch lifeguards. The Lifeguard Coordinator will supervise lifeguards and provide support for all aquatics activities (lifeguarding, swim lessons and coaching) with the support of the Aquatics Director. They will uphold the safety of the aquatic environment in general, including leading monthly staff in-service trainings, and (once certified) conduct Lifeguard Training courses for the branch and the local community. This position will work towards completing the Y-USA Team Leader level of leadership competency. This is a full-time position at 32-40 hours per week with a minimum 20 hours weekly in a direct service capacity. Twelve hours weekly will be spent in an administrative capacity, or on special projects as assigned with up to 8 additional weekly hours are possible as required.
- Minimum 18 years of age.
- High school diploma or equivalency. College degree preferred.
- Must be available some nights and weekends. Must be available to work a full day on Saturday.
- Strong aquatics background and leadership experience preferred. Minimum of 2 years lifeguard experience, preferably within the YMCA for at least 1 year.
- Minimum of 1 year supervisory experience preferred
- Effective communication skills are necessary. Bi-lingual is a plus.
- Basic computer skills required, including: Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel.
- Current YMCA approved certifications in: Lifeguarding, First Aid, CPR PRO, Oxygen Administration*. LGI certification preferred**.
- *Oxygen certification expected within first 30 days (will train).
- **YMCA LGI certification expected within 6 months or at first available training.
- Must attend “Supervision 101” within 60 days of hire, or first available training.
- Must attend Coachable Me within 90 days, or first available training.
All employees working with the YMCA are considered to have supervisory or disciplinary action relationship over minors. Job offers are conditional and contingent upon background clearance. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and CA Fair Chance Act, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.