Careers with a Cause
Imagine going to work knowing that what you do each day positively influences the lives of people and communities. As the nation's leading nonprofit organization committed to strengthening communities through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility, the YMCA of San Francisco offers more than just a job--we offer you a career with a future and the chance to make a lasting difference in your community. At the Y, you can discover your passion and a lifelong career helping to solve some of the nation's most pressing social issues.
In order to keep staff and participants as safe and healthy as possible, all staff working on-site will be required to be vaccinated (COVID-19) prior to beginning work.
About the Job
The Student Support Specialist is responsible for cultivating a positive and mutually beneficial school day/afterschool program partnership during structured and unstructured times of the school day. They should be adept at working in a fast-paced environment with students of color and thinking fast on their feet. During after school hours, the Student Support Specialist is responsible for running a classroom of approximately 20 students during enrichment and homework time. During the school day, the Student Support Specialist works in consult with the instructional leadership of the school to serve the needs of our schools lowest performing students and English Learners by providing academic/socio-emotional interventions during the school day.
The Bayview Y is seeking experienced, enthusiastic, and creative individuals to lead youth-development focused programming during school-day and after school hours for Student Support Specialist positions at the MLK Jr Beacon and KIPP Middle School programs.
- Proof of COVID Vaccination is required
- Must be at least 18 years of age
- Provide any of following documentation that meets SFUSD Instructional Aide requirement:
- An AA degree or higher
- Official transcripts reflecting 48 college units and a high school diploma/equivalent
- Completion of CBEST and a high school diploma/equivalent
- Completion of CODESP and a high school diploma/equivalent
- Instructional Aide equivalency exam
- A commitment to providing young people with the highest-quality youth development experience
- Two or more years’ experience working with multi-ethnic and multi-cultural middle school youth
- Passion for social justice and knowledge of the Bayview Hunters Point community, its residents, and a desire to make a difference
- Strong understanding of the theory and practice of youth development
- Experience teaching specific content area(s)
- Ability to engage with middle school youth and build meaningful relationships with them.
- Creativity and interest in planning hands-on projects for youth
- Team player with proven ability to work with people from a variety of different ethnic, socio economic, educational, religious, sexual, and generational backgrounds
- Fingerprint background check clearance
- TB test clearance
- Provide documentation that meets SFUSD Instructional Aid requirement or take equivalency exam
- 23 years or older
- BA/BS in education or related field
- Bilingual skills in Spanish, Cantonese, or Tagolog
- Three or more years’ experience working with multi-ethnic and multi-cultural middle school youth
- Understanding and experience with Trauma-Informed Systems in a school setting
FOR NEW APPLICATIONS:
FOR CURRENT STAFF AT THE Y OF SF:
All employees working with the YMCA are considered to have supervisory or disciplinary action relationship over minors. Job offers are conditional and contingent upon background clearance. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and CA Fair Chance Act, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records