Careers with a Cause
Imagine going to work knowing that what you do each day positively influences the lives of people and communities. As the nation's leading nonprofit organization committed to strengthening communities through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility, the YMCA of San Francisco offers more than just a job--we offer you a career with a future and the chance to make a lasting difference in your community. At the Y, you can discover your passion and a lifelong career helping to solve some of the nation's most pressing social issues.
About the Job
Keeps the pool and surrounding area safe, and appropriately responds to emergencies that may occur. Provides leadership for coworkers while lifeguarding. Coaches staff to ensure that all are following established procedures and providing excellent customer service. Responsible for keeping various aspects of the pool in order, including the staff office, storage room, and pool deck. Presents a positive, enthusiastic and caring attitude to a diversified population of members and staff. Provides swim lesson instruction to a diverse population using national YMCA principles and program models.
Salary Range: $27.00 to $32.00 per hour
- Minimum 18 years of age.
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- 1+ year lifeguarding experience.
- Significant knowledge of swimming/aquatics
- Must be available for 40 hours per week; 30 hours of frontline and 10 hours of administrative work. Position does not exceed 40 hours per week.
- Must be available to work 5 consecutive days a week, including one weekend day and holidays. Must be willing to cover varying shift times as needed.
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Current YMCA approved certifications in: CPR, First Aid, Emergency Oxygen, Lifeguard and Swim Lessons or obtain within 30 days.
- Ability to obtain YMCA certification as a Lifeguard Instructor.
- Leadership or Supervisor experience.
- Additional certifications (YASA, ARC Lifeguard, ARC WSI, USA Swimming Coach, ASCA).
- Certifications in LGI and YSL
- Previous experience in competitive swimming
- Language skills in Mandarin, Cantonese or Spanish
FOR NEW APPLICANTS:
FOR CURRENT STAFF AT THE Y OF SF:
All employees working with the YMCA are considered to have supervisory or disciplinary action relationship over minors. Job offers are conditional and contingent upon background clearance. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and CA Fair Chance Act, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records