Careers with a Cause
Imagine going to work knowing that what you do each day positively influences the lives of people and communities. As the nation's leading nonprofit organization committed to strengthening communities through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility, the YMCA of San Francisco offers more than just a job--we offer you a career with a future and the chance to make a lasting difference in your community. At the Y, you can discover your passion and a lifelong career helping to solve some of the nation's most pressing social issues.
Oversees the organization's accounting practices, the maintenance of its fiscal records, the preparation of its financial reports and the financial planning & analysis function. Supervises Accounting department staff and manages the accounting functions of accounts payable, general ledger, accounts receivable, government contracts and grants, property accounting, construction accounting and reporting, internal auditing, budgeting and payroll. Ensures proper internal accounting controls and maintains fiscal soundness. Collects and maintains data on government contracts and grants. Manages the annual external (independent) audit and prepares information for outside funders. Serves as "System Owner" of Association Accounting system that is used for financial budgeting, forecasting, accounting and analysis. Manages financial analysis as needed including bank loan debt covenant compliance and development of business intelligence support. Manages Accounting department resource distribution between business analysis and reliable transaction processing with an emphasis on "value adding" activities. Facilitates change management as needed to help Association meet continuously evolving business challenges and opportunities.
- Bachelor's degree in accounting or other business related field, and a CPA license. MBA preferred
- Seven or more years of related experience in accounting, at least three additional years of supervision of accounting staff and five or more years of experience with non-profit accounting or equivalent required
- Strong understanding of GAAP is required
- Excellent organizational skills, great attention to detail and be extremely accurate.
- Must be an experienced accountant and be able to manage the accounting staff to provide accurate and on-time delivery of work papers for the external auditors.
- Must have knowledge of and experience with computerized accounting systems, PC computing software and ability to create and work with complex Excel spreadsheets.
- Must have the ability to act independently and to exercise good judgment on own discretion.
- Must be an experienced manager/leader who demonstrates excellent interpersonal, verbal and written communication and management skills.
All employees working with the YMCA are considered to have supervisory or disciplinary action relationship over minors. Job offers are conditional and contingent upon background clearance. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and CA Fair Chance Act, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records