Careers with a Cause
Imagine going to work knowing that what you do each day positively influences the lives of people and communities. As the nation's leading nonprofit organization committed to strengthening communities through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility, the YMCA of San Francisco offers more than just a job--we offer you a career with a future and the chance to make a lasting difference in your community. At the Y, you can discover your passion and a lifelong career helping to solve some of the nation's most pressing social issues.
About the Job
The Community Health Navigator (CHN) will support the Community Health and Wellness Programs (CHW) (African American Holistic Wellness Program; Holistic Wellness for Active Older Adults Program; and Silver Plus Program). CHW’s overarching mission is to reduce health disparities, increase physical and behavioral wellness, decrease social isolation and improve the overall wellbeing of African Americans throughout San Francisco using holistic approaches toward chronic disease prevention, health and wellness, social engagement events, and mental health promotions. The Bayview Hunters Point YMCA has a pivotal role in addressing some of the major challenges faced by San Franciscans, including chronic disease prevention, substance abuse, elderly isolation, weak educational achievement, and productive after school activities for kids.
Under the direction and supervision of the Senior Director, the CHN will provide hands-on assistance to address identified unmet health-related social needs. Individuals will be identified within target populations and provided hands-on assistance to identify and meet health and needs through traditional and holistic approaches. Navigators will screen individuals for both social and health needs including but not limited to food insecurity, COVID-19 navigation, interpersonal violence, blood pressure screenings, and transportation needs. This position will work hand-in-hand with other team members to implement the program and help individuals address their health and social needs with community service organizations and resources that exist in the community. Navigators will create action plans, perform screenings, hold health workshops, and document all progress and contacts.
Salary Range: $26.00 to $30.00 per hour
- Minimum 21 years old
- High school diploma or equivalent
- 2+ years of community engagement experience with low-income, high-risk populations
- Must have experience working with individuals and communities to assist in linking to services, supporting resource attainment, and addressing health equity and social determinant insecurities.
- Two or more years of related experience working within the African American Community
- Must be available some evenings and weekends.
- Basic understanding and demonstrated capacity to work with low-income and high-risk populations.
- Diversity and inclusion experience.
- Standard Microsoft software knowledge.
- Social Media marketing technology knowledge.
- Effective communication and organizational skills and demonstrated follow through on tasks
- Ability to make sound judgement and work with integrity, discretion, and a professional approach.
- YSF approved CPR and First Aid Certifications
- Associate or Bachelor’s degree in healthcare, social work or public health or equivalent
- 4+ years of community engagement experience with low-income, high-risk populations
- Health Education Certification
FOR NEW APPLICANTS:
FOR CURRENT STAFF AT THE Y OF SF:
All employees working with the YMCA are considered to have supervisory or disciplinary action relationship over minors. Job offers are conditional and contingent upon background clearance. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and CA Fair Chance Act, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records