Careers with a Cause
Imagine going to work knowing that what you do each day positively influences the lives of people and communities. As the nation's leading nonprofit organization committed to strengthening communities through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility, the YMCA of San Francisco offers more than just a job--we offer you a career with a future and the chance to make a lasting difference in your community. At the Y, you can discover your passion and a lifelong career helping to solve some of the nation's most pressing social issues.
In order to keep staff and participants as safe and healthy as possible, all staff working on-site will be required to be vaccinated (COVID-19) prior to beginning work.
About the Job
The Aquatics Coordinator monitors the quality of safety, programming, member retention, and customer satisfaction in the swim lesson program. This position is responsible for assisting with the supervision and mentoring of the lifeguards and swim lesson instructors, coordinating operational schedules of the pool and swim lesson programs, staff training, and ensuring safe operations according to our policies and standards. They will uphold the safety of the aquatic environment in general, including leading the annual Safety Around Water Week. They will assist in conducting in-services and trainings for the swim instructors and act on deck lead for swim lessons on Saturday mornings. They will teach swim lessons and lifeguard as needed.
- Minimum 18 years of age
- High school diploma or equivalency
- Previous aquatics experience as a swim instructor and lifeguard
- Minimum of 2 years of swim instructor and/or guarding experience
- Must be available for staff meetings, community events, and all operational hours as needed
- Must be available to work 5 days a week, including Saturday mornings to oversee lessons. Hours may include holidays and evenings, hours may vary to meet the facility needs.
- Must be available to work approximately 10-20 hours total of group and private lessons, 10-20 hours of administrative work and 5-10 hours per week of guarding if needed. Position will not exceed 40 hours per week.
- Must be available to work Tuesday-Saturday consistently and be present during group lesson programming, hours and days may vary depending on staff availability.
- Must be willing to provide direct service work by swim instructing or lifeguarding as needed to meet the branches needs.
- Effective customer service, interpersonal as well as written and verbal communication skills are necessary
- Basic computer skills required, includes Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel and Google Drive documents.
- Current YMCA approved certifications in: First Aid/CPR/Oxygen Administration* and Lifeguarding**
- Must attend all YMCA of SF required leadership trainings within 90 days
- Works toward completing the Team Leader competency level with the Y-USA associated leadership trainings within the first two years of hire as coordinator
* Certification expected within first 30 days if offered in northern California (will train).
** Lifeguard certification expected within 30 days or at first available training.
- College degree preferred
- Strong aquatics background and leadership experience preferred.
- Experience supervising other swim instructors preferred.
- At least 1 year of supervisory experience preferred.
- Bi-lingual in Spanish is preferred.
- YMCA Lifeguard Instructor and Y Swim Lessons Instructor (or equivalent) preferred***
*** Within 6 months or at first available training.