Six Dimensions of Wellness
Mindfully Focusing on Wellness to Build Resilience and Thrive
Health and Wellness and How They Connect
According to the World Health Organization, Health is a state of complete physical, mental and social well-being and not merely the absence of disease or infirmity. Wellness is the act of practicing daily healthy habits to achieve optimal health.
Achieving A State of Higher Well-Being Begins with Practice
Wellness is an active process through which we become aware of and make choices toward a more successful existence.
- Wellness is a conscious, self-directed and evolving process of achieving full potential
- Wellness is multidimensional and holistic, encompassing lifestyle, mental and spiritual well-being and the environment
- Wellness is positive and affirming, individual and collective (National Wellness Institute)
The Six Dimensions of Wellness
- Physical - embracing our need for physical activity, healthy foods and sleep
- Emotional - coping effectively with life's challenges, managing stress and building our inner strength
- Spiritual - expanding our sense of purpose and meaning in life
- Environmental - creating and occupying positive, stimulating environments that support our well-being
- Social - developing our sense of connection, belonging and well-developed support systems
- Intellectual - nurturing our creative abilities and finding ways to expand knowledge and skills (Samhsa.gov)