BUILDING YOUR TEAM
Build a team of 5 players in order of who is signed up. Games are played with 2 teams of 5 players. 8 or more players required for full court play. View the gymnasium schedule here.
RULES OF PLAY
- Teams have the option to choose to either play to the lines or play to the walls.
- Players call their own fouls and re-start the play at the top of the key.
- Settle fouls or points through good sportsmanship.
- Please refrain from using vulgar language.
- No discrimination, threats or intentional physical contact are allowed.
- YMCA Staff will monitor games and make final decisions during disagreements.
The Embarcadero YMCA has designated different levels of play for different nights to serve the full skill range of community volleyball players at the Y. No registration is required – just show up! View the gymnasium schedule here.
Rules of Conduct
- All players must display our YMCA core values of Honesty, Respect, Caring, and Responsibility at all times.
- Profanity, inappropriate conduct, or dangerous play will result in suspension of privileges.
Court Rules for All Levels of Play
- When more than two teams are in the gym, the winning team stays on for one extra game. The losing team signs up to play again. If the winning team wins a second game, both the winning and losing teams sign up (losing team signs up first!). Games are to 21 points, with a point awarded at each round of play.
Open Play: 1st and 3rd, Tuesdays nights
Join us for Open Play where all levels are welcome. Please be safe, respectful, and have fun! 4 or more players required for court set up.
Skills Clinic: 2nd and 4th Tuesdays nights
On the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of every month, join our volunteer instructors for a Skills Clinic that can benefit players of all levels. The first half will cover skills drills and the fundamentals of volleyball play, and the second half will be open play to allow players to practice their skills. Each Skills Clinic will have 1-2 instructors available for coaching and feedback. 4 or more players required for court set up.
Advanced Play: Wednesdays, 7-9:45pm
All new players will be given an assessment by two Volunteer Program Ambassadors. This assessment helps the Y and your fellow teammates ensure your current ability and safety levels are appropriate for Advanced Play. If you are not rated as Advanced, we encourage you to join our Skills Clinics on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of every month. 4 or more players required for court set up.
Reverse Co-ed Play: Saturdays, 4-7:45pm
On Saturdays, Reverse Co-ed rules are in effect: the net is set at women’s height, men may only attack the ball as back-court players, and men may not block when playing the front row. Reverse Co-ed is an Intermediate/Advanced format. If you are not rated as Intermediate/Advanced, we encourage you to join our Skills Clinics on the 2nd and 4th Tuesday of every month. 4 or more players required for court set up.