Redefine Your Health, Transform Your Life
The YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program is a community-based lifestyle change program designed for adults with prediabetes. Its purpose is to help adults improve their overall health and reduce their risk of developing type 2 diabetes. Learn more about diabetes.
How it Works
The YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program is one year long. Participants attend 25 one-hour sessions over the course of 12 months and work together in a small-group to learn about healthier eating, physical activity, reducing stress and other behavior changes to lose a modest amount of weight and improve health. A trained Lifestyle Coach facilitates the program in a classroom setting and offers guidance and motivational support.
Participants work toward achieving two goals:
- Reduce total body weight by 7% (about 10-15 pounds for a 200-lb. person)
- Engage in regular physical activity, working up to 150 minutes (or 2.5 hours) per week
Who Can Participate?
- Adults aged 18 years and older who are
- Overweight (BMI > 25, for Asian and Pacific Islander ethnicities, BMI > 22) and
- At high risk for developing type 2 diabetes indicated by a confirmatory blood value, prediabetes determined by clinical diagnosis of Gestational Diabetes (GDM) during previous pregnancy, or a qualifying risk score.
- Individuals who have already been diagnosed with either type 1 or type 2 diabetes do not qualify for this program.
Preventing diabetes isn’t easy, but it is possible. The small steps you take today can lead to a lifestyle of healthy choices tomorrow. Redefine your health and transform your life with the YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program.
Take the Quiz, Know Your Risk
1 in 3 people are at risk for developing type 2 diabetes, yet only 10% actually know it.
If you fall into three or more of the following categories, you could be at risk.
- Blood pressure of 140/90 or higher
- Above-normal cholesterol levels
- Inactive lifestyle (exercising less than 2x/week)
- Family history of diabetes
- History of gestational diabetes
- Obesity (BMI ≥ 25 kg/m2)
- Aged 45 years or older
Lisa – San Rafael, CA
I was headed for a life filled with diabetes related illness and decided it was time for a change. Since joining the Y’s Diabetes Prevention Program, I’ve lost 18 pounds and learned to be honest about what I eat. I’m active every day and have figured out how to set goals that keep me on track. I’ve also made some nice friends in the group and I will miss them when our meetings end.
Rodney – San Francisco, CA
I learned about Diabetes Prevention Program at the Y. I took the quiz to see if I was at risk and it turned out I was.
Since joining I’ve lost 15 pounds. I’ve learned to choose foods wisely and have lowered fat and sugar in my diet. I also log my meals regularly with an easy-to-use and that keeps me on track. This program has helped me get healthy and I know others can too!
Jeffry – San Francisco, CA
I visited my doctor and learned I was at risk for type 2 diabetes. I joined the Y’s Diabetes Prevention Program and am now making healthy changes!
I’ve learned to control food consumption and am taking advantage of the free YMCA membership to help me exercise more. I’ve lost 10 pounds, reached my weight loss goal, and have learned tools to maintain a healthy lifestyle. I want to be a role model for my teenage children, and as they grow older I will share with them what I’ve learned from this Program.
Vicky – San Mateo, CA
Diabetes was a significant factor in my mother’s life and death. I didn’t want to live that way, so decided it was time to do something different. The program has taught me that I have the ability to take charge of my health! I used to avoid the scale, but now I use it to stay on track. I walk daily and find that the sunshine keeps me healthy and gives me a positive attitude. My weight may continue to be an issue for the rest of my life, but I now know that I have the power to prevent diabetes.