Exercise Made For People With Disabilities, (EMPWD) offers a place for participants to begin the process of living with disability. The program’s goal is to help participants live healthier, more integrated lives. Trained staff work with members to develop optimal fitness and physical skills. Our accessible facility features inclusive fitness equipment and an integrated environment, where participants can meet their highest aspirations. Since 1991, this unique program has served the disabled community of the San Francisco Bay Area.
- Individualized and group exercise
- Motivation & goal setting
- Applying new skills to new activities
- Group Exercise
- May or may not have had a traumatic injury or permanent disability
- Are motivated for maximal independence
- Commit to a routine of regular exercise
- Submit basic health and/or status reports from their primary physician
Nils Jorgensen, EMPWD Coordinator, understands firsthand the challenges of living with a disability. He has trained and competed in wheelchair sports for more than 30 years. In his personal life and at work, Nils knows how much can be gained from an active lifestyle. Nils has a BS in Therapeutic Recreation and NCSF Personal Trainer certification.
Dylan Young, is an NCSF certified trainer, with rich experience and skills in athletic training and sports for the disabled. He has a 30-year history of national and international competition in wheelchair sports. A former coxswain for the UC Berkeley crew team, he motivates program participants to set and reach healthy goals.