Reach & Rise is a national, therapeutic mentoring program that matches adult volunteer mentors (age 21+) with young people. A key feature of the program is the inclusion of parents in the mentoring process, from matching their child to an appropriate mentor, to setting goals for the mentoring relationship.
Highly trained mentors meet with mentees once each week to discuss issues occurring in the youth's life while engaging in enriching activities in the community.
Youth are referred from schools, counselors, parents and other YMCA programs.
Program Directors provide ongoing mentor support, family support, and case management.
WHY WAS REACH and RISE CREATED?
This free program was established to serve the needs of young people not being met by existing youth services.
- To offer over-stressed families a resource to help meet their children’s needs.
- To provide youth with positive, growth-inducing relationships with adults through the mentoring process.
- To make a difference in a child’s life.
WHAT TYPE OF YOUTH DOES THE PROGRAM SERVE?
Youth from a wide range of ethnic and socio-economic backgrounds:
- Young people (ages 6-17) and their families
- Young people experiencing problems such as low self-esteem, poor academic performance, truancy, peer difficulties, family conflict and poor decision-making skills.
- Youth encompassing a variety of family backgrounds including intact families, single-parent families, blended families, foster home and/or grandparent and other relative-headed families.
Together, mentors and mentees share diverse experiences, develop a stronger sense of belonging within their communities, and create lasting memories!
"Reach & Rise impacts youth, because they just get another choice. They get another opportunity in life to see that there are other ways and things to see out there...and faith in humanity."
- Jennifer Kriebl, National Director
Meet Our Staff
National Director of Reach & Rise®
Urban Services YMCA
As a longtime social worker, Jennifer believes in giving back to the community. Be a mentor! She oversees the Reach & Rise national mentoring program in 38 states.
Program Director of Reach & Rise®
Urban Services YMCA
(415) 561-0631 ext. 1102
Jordan works to promote youth resilience by recruiting and training volunteers to be trauma-informed therapeutic mentors for kids as they face the challenges of growing up.