Remember that freedom and independence you felt the first time you rode a bike?
YBike began in 2002 when a Presidio YMCA member volunteered to teach kids how to ride bikes. We quickly realized that biking is a fantastic way to help youth grow, explore, and build community.
Led by caring and professional adults, YBike engages thousands of youth each year, transforming San Francisco youth into skilled bicyclists, active outdoor enthusiasts, and confident young adults. YBike offers a wide range of youth bike education programs, from Bike P.E. to Earn-A-Bike clubs to Learn-To-Ride events. We also offer a variety of popular Summer Camps.
YBike’s 10-day Bike P.E. Unit teaches youth bike safety, giving them the skills and confidence to bike for exploration, transportation, and exercise. The skills we teach are progressive, challenging beginners and more experienced bicyclists. This program helps to train P.E. teachers to lead their own innovative bicycling programs.
YBike began as an after school bike program at three local middle schools. Today we run Earn-A-Bike clubs at middle and high schools across San Francisco. Our clubs give youth the opportunity to learn urban bicycling skills while developing their ability to think independently. This program is funded by the Department of Children, Youth and Their Families.
- Teach youth how to properly wear their helmets, inspect their bicycles for safety, and perform basic bike maintenance.
- Lead structured drills and lessons in the schoolyard to develop youth’s bicycling skills.
- Teach youth how to bike safely and predictably, following the traffic safety rules.
- Take youth on neighborhood rides once they master the skills necessary for safely navigating city streets.
Girls Riding Club
Girls Riding Club began in 2015 with the purpose of getting more girls* riding and exploring the great world of bikes. It's a chance to meet other enthusiastic bikers and be inspired by other girls*.
*GRC welcomes 4th-9th grade girls (cis and trans) and non-binary gender folks who feel a part of the girls' community.
Registrants must be:
- in 4th-9th grade
- able to ride in a straight line
- able to make a controlled turn
- comfortable using HAND brakes to stop (no pedal/coaster brakes)
- comfortable using gears to go uphill
- comfortable controlling a bike downhill (able to modulate speed using brakes & can keep feet on pedals)
Previous experience riding in light traffic is helpful.
For more information, please contact Malay Khamsyvoravong.
Safe Routes to School San Francisco
YBike is part of the San Francisco Safe Routes to School coalition. YBike has been a member of the Safe Routes to School San Francisco since its inception in 2009.
Visit SF Safe Routes to learn how this coalition and Safe Routes to School partners across the nation are working to make walking and biking to school safer and more accessible for children and their families.
Donations and Bike Build Sponsorships
We would love to partner with your company to hold a bike build event. Bike builds are a fantastic option for corporate volunteer projects, team building days, and more. Bicycles built at these events support our Earn-A-Bike program, where students are able to earn a bicycle of their own.
For more information, contact our Development Director Christine Lunde.