Healthy Living for Life
YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program is a one-year lifestyle modification program designed for adults aged 18 or older who are overweight and at high risk for type 2 diabetes. The evidence-based program supports participants to reach a healthier weight and achieve an active lifestyle to reduce diabetes risk.
- Attend 25 one-hour sessions over 12 months
- Small-group, supportive environment (8-15 people)
- Led by a trained Lifestyle Coach offering guidance and motivation
- 6 months of YMCA membership included!
Prevention is Possible
If you're at risk for type 2 diabetes, lifestyle changes such as getting regular physical activity, eating a variety of healthy foods and losing a modest amount of weight can cut diabetes risk and lead to a healthier way of life.
YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program is proving to be a model that can help you achieve these changes. The program is supported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and is part of the National Diabetes Prevention Program.
Read our Notice of Privacy Practices
Let's Get Started!
To qualify, you must:
- Be aged 18 or older
- Be overweight (BMI >24.9, for Asians >22.9) - check your BMI here
- Have Prediabetes* verified via a confirmatory blood value, Gestational Diabetes during previous pregnancy or a qualifying risk score.
*Individuals with a current or previous health history of type 2 diabetes do not qualify for this program
Program price: $109* per month for 6 months. YMCA membership included!
*Financial Assistance is available to those who qualify. *Discounted rates are included for current Y members. Please call to inquire. Employer, Insurance and Medicaid Coverage may be available. *No cost to San Francisco Health Plan Members. *No cost to Health Plan of San Mateo Members.
Program Schedule (Multi-Lingual)
Due to COVID-19 restrictions, all classes are currently delivered remotely via Zoom.
- Wednesdays at 10-11 am beginning May 12 (open enrollment to 05/26/2021)
- Tuesdays at 6:30-7:30 pm beginning June 15 (open enrollment to 06/29/2021)
- Additional classes coming August and September 2021
- Additional classes coming July 2021
- Additional Classes coming July 2021