Stop Diabetes Before it Starts
YMCA's Diabetes Prevention Program is a one-year lifestyle modification program designed for adults aged 18 or older who are overweight and at high risk for type 2 diabetes. The evidence-based program supports participants to reach a healthier weight and achieve an active lifestyle to reduce diabetes risk.
- Attend 25 one-hour sessions over the course of 12 months
- Small-group, supportive environment (8-15 people)
- Led by a trained Lifestyle Coach
- YMCA membership not required
- Insurance or employer coverage may be available
Change isn't easy, but with small and consistent steps, you can build a healthy lifestyle that lasts.
Prevention is Possible
If you're at risk for type 2 diabetes, lifestyle changes such as getting regular physical activity, eating a variety of healthy foods and losing a modest amount of weight can cut diabetes risk and lead to a healthier way of life.
YMCA’s Diabetes Prevention Program is proving to be a model that can help you achieve these changes. The program is supported by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) and is part of the National Diabetes Prevention Program.
To qualify, you must:
- Be aged 18 or older
- Be overweight (BMI >24.9). For Asian Individuals, BMI >22.9.
- Have pre-diabetes determined via a confirmatory blood value, have had Gestational Diabetes during previous pregnancy or meet a qualifying risk score
Individuals with a current diagnosis or previous health history of type 2 diabetes do not qualify for this program.
Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, all classes currently meet virtually via Zoom.
- Wednesdays at 5:30-6:30 pm beginning February 17 (open enrollment to 03/03/2021)
- Wednesdays at 5:30-6:30 pm beginning March 17 (open enrollment to 03/31/2021)
- Thursdays at 10-11 am beginning April 15 (open enrollment to 04/29/2021)
- Wednesdays at 10-11 am beginning May 12 (open enrollment to 05/26/2021)
- Tuesdays at 6:30-7:30 pm beginning June 15 (open enrollment to 06/29/2021)
- 2021 Day/Time To Be Determined
- Wednesdays 10-11 am beginning December 2, 2020 (open enrollment to 12/16/20)
Read our Notice of Privacy Practices