12 Days of Movement
Did you know? The #1 focus of new year's resolutions is exercise.
In a survey conducted by NPR and The Marist Poll, 13% of 1,075 adults set out to "exercise more" in the new year, making it the most common of all resolutions.
That said, data also shows that while exercise trends spike in January they return to pre-holiday rates once February rolls around. Bummer.
But, this year will be different! If exercise is your focus for 2020, we're here to help you get started with January’s 12 Days of Movement.
12 Days of Movement
What it is:
12 Days of Movement is designed to help get you active on a consistent basis by working in small bouts of physical activity throughout the month. Consistency is key to building a habit, and habitual movement is what we’re after!
How it works:
The goal is to be active any 12 days in the month of January. Simply keep track of your workouts throughout the month! Use this Sample Tracking Card as a guide or download our YMCA Fitness App and track your workouts there.
Any activity counts so long as your heart rate is elevated and you’re active for a period of 10 minutes or more. Examples include:
- 10 minutes of stair climbing
- 10 minutes of pick-up ball at lunch
- 10 minutes of dancing between meetings
- 10 minutes of raking leaves in the yard
- 10 minutes of moving boxes in the garage
- 10 minutes of jump rope
- 10 minutes of brisk walking on the treadmill
Come see us at the Y!
We’ll be engaging throughout the month on social media. If you visit any of our #ymcasf locations, tag our Y locations in your photos and we’ll follow along as you progress.
Why Movement Matters
Physical activity is an important facet of well-being. Being physically active:
- Reduces and stabilizes blood pressure
- Reduces risk for heart attack and stroke
- Reduces arthritic symptoms
- Improves aerobic fitness and lung health
- Improves mental acuity and sharpness
- Stabilizes blood sugar (important if you're at risk for type 2 diabetes)
- Heightens mood and curbs depression
Physical activity can also help us sleep better and improves productivity at work!
Are You Ready to Move?
Happy new year, and congratulations on your commitment to health!