Careers with a Cause
The YMCA of San Francisco was named as one of the Bay Area's Best Places to Work by its employees as well as one of the Healthiest Employers. Join our team and make a lasting impact every day in communities across San Francisco, San Mateo and Marin Counties. Every day, our staff—of all ages and from diverse backgrounds and life experiences—are transforming lives through YMCA programs for youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility.
About the Job
Under the supervision of the Youth & Family Director, Wilderness Trip Leaders are responsible for preparing for and leading the BOLD/GOLD Teen Backpacking Programs for the YMCA of San Francisco through the Point Bonita YMCA. The BOLD (Boys Outdoor Leadership Development) & GOLD (Girls Outdoor Leadership Development) Program is dedicated to inspiring courage and confidence in diverse groups of adolescent youth through outdoor adventures. The program traditionally runs single-gender expeditions of 4-10 days in length in a variety of outdoor settings such as Yosemite, Desolation Wilderness, Point Reyes, and the Santa Cruz Mountains. Responsibilities include facilitating the learning of outdoor skills during these wilderness-based backpacking courses; ensuring a physically and emotionally safe environment for all staff and participants; creating a values-forming experience, an inclusive environment for youth; developing curriculum; preparing gear and food for trips; and problem-solving issues that arise during trips.
- Minimum age: 21 years old.
- Experience working with youth, including experience leading youth in outdoor settings.
- Proficient swimmer.
- Experience backpacking, cooking, and camping in the outdoors.
- Excellent judgement and decision-making skills.
- Success working with people across multiple dimensions of diversity.
- Ability to be respectful and professional when working with others.
- Willingness to learn conflict mediation, restorative practice, and YMCA youth development skills.
- Lifeguard, First Aid, and CPR certification (or ability to obtain within 90 days of hire).
- Current CPR and W-EMT, Wilderness First Aid, or Wilderness First Responder certification (or ability to obtain within 90 days of hire).
All employees working with the YMCA are considered to have supervisory or disciplinary action relationship over minors. Job offers are conditional and contingent upon background clearance. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and CA Fair Chance Act, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records