Careers with a Cause
The YMCA of San Francisco was named as one of the Bay Area's Best Places to Work by its employees as well as one of the Healthiest Employers. Join our team and make a lasting impact every day in communities across San Francisco, San Mateo and Marin Counties. Every day, our staff—of all ages and from diverse backgrounds and life experiences—are transforming lives through YMCA programs for youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. When you work for the Y, you’ll be supported with training, mentoring and career development opportunities. Plus, we offer great benefits to help you grow stronger in spirit, mind and body, even as you’re helping others.
About the Job
The Wellness Coach creates a meaningful and nurturing YMCA member experience from first point of contact with the Y to daily engagement of current members by demonstrating the Y’s core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility. Individuals selected for this position welcome, connect, support and invite members to be active; and deliver outstanding service to all members and guests. It is our mission to build relationships to support a member’s path to wellness. Wellness Coaches are responsible for empowering individuals to make safe and effective choices in their lives. The candidate is expected to maintain general knowledge of the facility, programs and activities of the Y and provides service and information to members while creating a fun and safe environment for all.
This position has a significant impact on the quality and effectiveness of the Healthy Living Department and the YMCA of San Francisco’s Member Engagement Strategy. The candidate possesses strong interpersonal and verbal communication skills, has the ability to learn in a fast-paced environment, works well in both a team setting and at an individual level and has the ability to apply creative problem-solving to ensure member satisfaction and retention; and can respond to safety and emergency situations as directed.
- Aged 18 years or older.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Basic knowledge of computers and general office equipment.
- Must have a passion for working with people of culturally, ethnically and socioeconomically diverse backgrounds.
- Basic knowledge of health, nutrition and/or fitness is required. An understanding of behavior change a plus!
- Must be flexible to a schedule that includes some nights, early mornings and weekends.
- Bilingual fluency in English and Cantonese, Mandarin, or Spanish preferred, but not required.
- Current YMCA-approved CPR and First Aid certification and YMCA or national personal trainer/group exercise instructor certification within one year.
- Complete all mandatory trainings within 90 days of hire.
- All staff hired into this position are evaluated within 90 days for effectiveness.
All employees working with the YMCA are considered to have supervisory or disciplinary action relationship over minors. Job offers are conditional and contingent upon background clearance. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and CA Fair Chance Act, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.