Careers with a Cause
The YMCA of San Francisco was named as one of the Bay Area's Best Places to Work by its employees as well as one of the Healthiest Employers. Join our team and make a lasting impact every day in communities across San Francisco, San Mateo and Marin Counties. Every day, our staff—of all ages and from diverse backgrounds and life experiences—are transforming lives through YMCA programs for youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility.
About the Job
This key position oversees and manages the general financial affairs; cash management; property development and management; and risk and legal of the organization. Development of Association policies and ensures their implementation.
- Works directly with the Finance, Investment, Audit and Insurance Committees of the board to develop policies and monitor their implementation and operation.
- Monitors monthly financial operations analysis and guidance to operating unit management staff. Prepares specific recommendations for President.
- Manages the staff and oversees the operations of the accounting and finance; property development and risk and legal.
- Reviews, updates, and/or develops internal control systems for the Association and oversees internal audits to check for compliance. Provides recommendations for improvement.
- Monitors the annual audit and meets periodically with the outside auditors to maintain communications and keep them informed of changes in the Association.
- Manages the investment of operating cash flow, reserves and capital funds to maximize investment earnings.
- Reviews reports to the Board of Directors, YMCA of the USA and government agencies. Reviews all tax returns.
- Directs the development of branch budgets and reviews all Association Office budgets.
- Manages tax-exempt bond transactions and oversees all necessary reports. Establishes, maintains and/or monitors all banking and investment relationships.
- Oversees the maintenance of all necessary records and accounting reports for the Endowment Fund, Land, Building and Equipment Fund and records all transactions on a timely basis.
- Maintains good working relationships with auditors, bankers, investment counselors, attorneys and other professional advisors to the Association.
- Supervises Executive Director of Finance who has primary responsibility for the daily operations of the finance department.
- Supervises Director of Risk and Legal who has primary responsibility for review of insurance and indemnity requirements for third parties, risk audits and general contracts, especially those with government agencies. Other specialized legal matters, such as Technology and Real Estate transactions will be handled by outside consultants.
- Supervises Vice President of Property Development and Facilities Management who is responsible for all aspects of the Y’s real estate portfolio and overseeing project construction and supervises the director who manages the on-going maintenance and improvement of all Y’s facilities.
- Participates in all Board of Directors meetings, works closely and supporting the finance committee, investment committee and audit committee of the Board of Directors and works with Branch Board of Managers as needed as the financial expert.
This Position Requires:
- Bachelor’s degree in business; finance or equivalent and Certified Public Accountant
- Master’s in Business Administration is preferred.
- A minimum of ten years management experience is required with at least five years of experience with a senior position in finance.
- Professional experience in a senior leadership of Finance role in a YMCA or equivalent large non-profit required.
- Previous successful experience as CFO, DOF or Controller in large non-profit organization is required.
- Knowledge and understanding of general business matters required, including budget development, cash management and investments, business taxes, and debt financing instruments.
- Excellent communication, interpersonal and leadership skills are required.
- A broad knowledge of computer technology including computerized accounting systems, and personal computer skills with related software required.
- Experience with voluntary/non-profit organizations (YMCA Organizational Director) preferred.
All employees working with the YMCA are considered to have supervisory or disciplinary action relationship over minors. Job offers are conditional and contingent upon background clearance. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and CA Fair Chance Act, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records