Careers with a Cause
The YMCA of San Francisco was named as one of the Bay Area's Best Places to Work by its employees as well as one of the Healthiest Employers. Join our team and make a lasting impact every day in communities across San Francisco, San Mateo and Marin Counties. Every day, our staff—of all ages and from diverse backgrounds and life experiences—are transforming lives through YMCA programs for youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. When you work for the Y, you’ll be supported with training, mentoring and career development opportunities. Plus, we offer great benefits to help you grow stronger in spirit, mind and body, even as you’re helping others.
About the Job
The Bayview Y’s Teen Center is seeking an experienced, enthusiastic and creative individual to lead youth-development focused after-school enrichment classes and academic support to middle school-aged youth. The ideal candidate has experience teaching middle school youth in one or more specialized content area, such as Art (visual or performing), Science, Technology (Robotics, Coding, etc.), and/or Cooking in an effort to promote skill-building and leadership.
Under the direction of the Youth & Teen Programs Coordinator, the Program Leader is responsible for developmenting and facilitating enrichment programs and providing academic support to program participants, and strengthening the programs’s connection with students, families and community partners. As a team player, the Program Leaders builds and maintains strong and productive relationships with and among students, school staff, parents, the YMCA, and community members of the Bayview community. They should be adept at working in a fast paced environment with students of color and thinking fast on their feet.
- Must be at least 21 years of age.
- Bachelor degree preferred
- A commitment to providing young people with the highest-quality youth development experience.
- Two or more years experience working with multi-ethnic, multi-cultural high school-aged youth.
- Passion for social justice and knowledge of the Bayview Hunters Point community, its residents, and a desire to make a difference
- Strong understanding of the theory and practice of youth development.
- Experience teaching specific content area(s).
- Ability to engage with high school youth and build meaningful relationships with them.
- Creativity and interest in planning hands-on projects for youth.
- Team player with proven ability to work with people from a variety of different ethnic, socio economic, educational, religious, sexual and generational backgrounds.
- Proven ability to work with people from a variety of different ethnic, socioeconomic, educational, religious, sexual and generational backgrounds.
- Bilingual skills in Spanish, Cantonese, Tagalog preferred.
- Background/Fingerprint/TB Clearance.
- Provide documentation that meets SFUSD Instructional Aid requirement or take equivalency exam.
To apply for this position, please submit a cover letter, resume and references to Youth and Teen hiring at email@example.com
All employees working with the YMCA are considered to have supervisory or disciplinary action relationship over minors. Job offers are conditional and contingent upon background clearance. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and CA Fair Chance Act, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.