Discover Your Passion at the Y
Imagine going to work knowing that what you do each day positively influences the lives of people and communities. As the nation’s leading nonprofit organization committed to strengthening communities through youth development, healthy living and social responsibility, the Y offers more than just a job—we offer you a career with a future and the chance to make a lasting difference in your community. At the Y, you can discover your passion and a lifelong career helping to solve some of the nation’s most pressing social issues.
About the Job
The Member Engagement Manager on Duty is responsible for creating and nurturing a seamless and meaningful YMCA member experience, from first point of contact with the Y to daily engagement of current members by demonstrating our core values of caring, honesty, respect and responsibility. Individuals selected for this position welcome, educate and invite potential members to join our organization and deliver outstanding service to members and guests. It is our mission to change lives, and the first step in this is to help potential members make that decision. All staff hired into this position will be evaluated within 90 days for effectiveness.
The Member Engagement Manager on Duty should display outstanding interpersonal and verbal communication to drive association and branch objectives of improving acquisition and retention of members, the ability to learn in a fast-paced environment, the ability to work in a team setting with both staff and volunteers, and the vision to see new opportunities and respond to them. They should have experience with computers, including personal computer applications such as database and word processing, and be able to apply creative problem-solving to ensure member satisfaction and retention, and to respond to safety and emergency situations. The Member Engagement Manager on Duty will act as lead staff for facility and department during hours the program and department supervisors may not be in the facility.
There is no organization quite like the Y, and it’s essential that we convey this through our visual and verbal communications. If this sounds like you, we want to meet you!
- Determined: to devote full strength and concentrated attention to our cause
- Nurturing: To care for, support and help develop through encouragement
- Genuine: to be honest and open in relationships with others
- Hopeful: to take an optimistic or positive view of future outcomes
- Welcoming: to accept neighbors eagerly, warmly, hospitably and as equal participants
- Aged 18 years or older.
- High school diploma or equivalent.
- Two or more years of related experience in a service, sales or office environment.
- Basic knowledge of computers and general office equipment.
- Must have a passion for working with people of culturally, ethnically and socioeconomically delivers backgrounds.
- Knowledge of basic health, nutrition and fitness
- Must be flexible to a schedule that can include some nights, early mornings and weekends. MOD shifts are scheduled at the start and close of business.
- Bilingual fluency in English and Cantonese, Mandarin, or Spanish preferred.
- Complete all mandatory trainings within 30 days of hire, or first available training.
- All staff hired into this position are evaluated within 90 days for effectiveness.
All employees working with the YMCA are considered to have supervisory or disciplinary action relationship over minors. Job offers are conditional and contingent upon background clearance. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and CA Fair Chance Act, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records