Careers with a Cause
The YMCA of San Francisco was named as one of the Bay Area's Best Places to Work by its employees as well as one of the Healthiest Employers. Join our team and make a lasting impact every day in communities across San Francisco, San Mateo and Marin Counties. Every day, our staff—of all ages and from diverse backgrounds and life experiences—are transforming lives through YMCA programs for youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. When you work for the Y, you’ll be supported with training, mentoring and career development opportunities. Plus, we offer great benefits to help you grow stronger in spirit, mind and body, even as you’re helping others.
About the Job
The Stonestown Family YMCA is a leader in Youth Development and we are looking for After School educators to join our team. In our After School Program, we are intentional about fostering Achievement, Relationships and Belonging. We are a community dedicated to creating an environment that helps people feel inspired and allows them to reach their true potential. We want to empower our youth and staff to make a difference in a diverse community. We provide support and growth opportunities in hopes of building a successful team. We are seeking creative talented professional people who are serious about providing meaningful after school opportunities for youth. We need people who are flexible, who will take the initiative, who are punctual and able to make a commitment to work throughout the entire school year. Staff must also be available to work in the morning care program if applicable.
The Mandarin Tutor will work directly with youth to provide academic support and instruction in reading, word recognition, and literacy skill building. The Mandarin Tutor will assist in curriculum development, coordinate tutoring schedules with after school program and day school teachers, and plan and implement Mandarin focused enrichments. The Mandarin Tutor will work to implement a culture of learning and understanding among all students.
- At Least 21 years of age for the middle school programs, at least 18 years of age for the elementary school programs
- At Least 2 Years of college (48 units), AA degree, or a Pass on After School For All-Excel Qualification Exam (No Child Left Behind- NCLB)
- Background in Education and Language Arts/Teacher Credential preferred
- Must be available Mondays-Fridays during after school program hours (approx. 1:30p-6:30p)
- Must able to assist students with homework, quizzes and other academic related tasks
- Must be able to create a fun and engaging enrichment plan for students to learn Mandarin and Chinese culture
- Knowledge, familiarityand experience working in or with schools within SFUSD preferred
- Special Knowledge of Arts, Dance, Drama, or Sports preferred
- Must have fluency in Mandarin (writing simplified characters and pinyin, reading and verbal fluency)
- Current CPR and First Aid Certification, finger print and TB test clearance
All employees working with the YMCA are considered to have supervisory or disciplinary action relationship over minors. Job offers are conditional and contingent upon background clearance. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and CA Fair Chance Act, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.