Careers with a Cause
The YMCA of San Francisco was named as one of the Bay Area's Best Places to Work by its employees as well as one of the Healthiest Employers. Join our team and make a lasting impact every day in communities across San Francisco, San Mateo and Marin Counties. Every day, our staff—of all ages and from diverse backgrounds and life experiences—are transforming lives through YMCA programs for youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. When you work for the Y, you’ll be supported with training, mentoring and career development opportunities. Plus, we offer great benefits to help you grow stronger in spirit, mind and body, even as you’re helping others.
About the Job
Provides leadership for coworkers while lifeguarding. Coaches staff to ensure that all are following established procedures and providing excellent customer service. Responsible for keeping various aspects of the pool in order, including the staff office, storage room, and pool deck. Presents a positive, enthusiastic and caring attitude to a diversified population of members and staff. Provides swim lesson instruction to a diverse population using national YMCA principles and program models. Instructors are asked to demonstrate the YMCA Mission and Guidelines. Fundamental knowledge in aquatics is critical to the success of this position. National YMCA Swim Program training certificates are preferred within 90 days or upon first available training. Assist with administrative tasks in relation to guarding and swim lessons.
Know and exhibit the YMCA Mission through programs that strive for youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. Demonstrates the ability to exercise mature judgment and tact and able to work well with members, staff, and volunteers. Strong knowledge and experience in the area of aquatics. Have the ability to interpret YMCA aquatics program philosophy and motivate others.
- Minimum 18 years of age.
- High School Diploma or equivalent.
- Minimum 1 year lifeguarding experience. Leadership or Supervisor experience preferred.
- Must be available to guard 20 hours, teach at least 10 hours of group lessons, and 10 hours of Private lessons.
- Be available to work SPLASH! Week, San Francisco School District’s Spring Break.
- Must have current YMCA approved certifications in: CPR, First Aid, Emergency Oxygen*. Certifications in YSL is preferred. Additional certifications (YASA, ARC Lifeguard, ARC WSI, USA Swimming Coach, ASCA) are also preferred but are not required.
- Must be available to teach during scheduled private lesson times and certain group lesson times.
- Must be available Saturday & Sunday (though usually only scheduled 1 weekend day) and Monday, Wednesday, & Friday afternoons.
- Significant knowledge of swimming/aquatics, previous experience in competitive swimming is preferred.
- Must be proficient in English. Bilingual (Cantonese) is preferred.
*Must complete within 30 days of hiring for position.
Please send cover letter and resume to: Candice Leung;firstname.lastname@example.org
All employees working with the YMCA are considered to have supervisory or disciplinary action relationship over minors. Job offers are conditional and contingent upon background clearance. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and CA Fair Chance Act, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.