Careers with a Cause
The YMCA of San Francisco was named as one of the Bay Area's Best Places to Work by its employees as well as one of the Healthiest Employers. Join our team and make a lasting impact every day in communities across San Francisco, San Mateo and Marin Counties. Every day, our staff—of all ages and from diverse backgrounds and life experiences—are transforming lives through YMCA programs for youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. When you work for the Y, you’ll be supported with training, mentoring and career development opportunities. Plus, we offer great benefits to help you grow stronger in spirit, mind and body, even as you’re helping others.
About the Job
Under the supervision of the Camp Director and Camp Coordinator, the Camp Counselor is responsible for youth development, safety, and parent communication. Where youth development is the primary function of the position, duties include leading campers in building strong relationships, providing a physically and emotionally safe environment, monitoring behavior management, promoting the core values of the YMCA (honesty, caring, respect and responsibility), mediating conflict resolution, leading activities that will build camper’s knowledge and skill base, and aiding campers struggling with separation anxiety. Where safety is the primary function of the position, duties include being responsible for the safety of camp participants at all times, exhibiting best child safe practices, and complying with policies and procedures. Where parent communication is the primary function of the position, duties include fostering relationships with parents, and contacting parents should an important issue arise during the camp day.
Camp Counselors must be able to attend mandatory Association-wide Camp training and other mandatory trainings including CPR/AED, First Aid, Child Abuse Prevention, and all Youth Development Trainings pertienet to the position.
- Individual must be 18 years or older.
- Must have at least 1 year of experience working with youth between the ages of 4 & 14.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills with diverse ages and groups of people
- Previous experience as a camp counselor is a plus, but other experiences that involve leading and facilitating structured activities to a group of young people, outside of “Camp” is also acceptable.
- Willingness to learn and grow on the job and accept feedback and a way to improve the quality of the young person’s experience and therefore development.
- Must have valid CPR/AED and First Aid Certifications before camp sessions begin.
All employees working with the YMCA are considered to have supervisory or disciplinary action relationship over minors. Job offers are conditional and contingent upon background clearance. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and CA Fair Chance Act, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.