Careers with a Cause
The YMCA of San Francisco was named as one of the Bay Area's Best Places to Work by its employees as well as one of the Healthiest Employers. Join our team and make a lasting impact every day in communities across San Francisco, San Mateo and Marin Counties. Every day, our staff—of all ages and from diverse backgrounds and life experiences—are transforming lives through YMCA programs for youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. When you work for the Y, you’ll be supported with training, mentoring and career development opportunities. Plus, we offer great benefits to help you grow stronger in spirit, mind and body, even as you’re helping others.
About the Job
The Beacon Academic Specialist supports the academic success of students in 6th through 8th grade at Marina Middle School. The Academic Specialist is responsible for ensuring students in the afterschool program are on track academically, and for creating a safe, positive, and supportive environment in the afterschool program. In addition to supporting the afterschool program (including leading the academic support program and designing skill-building curriculum for enrichment clubs), the Academic Specialist will also support Marina students during the school day through the lunchtime homework clinic, and afternoon classroom push-in support. This role is ideal for individuals interested in or exploring pursuing teaching or other school-based work, as the Academic Specialist will work closely with credentialed classroom teachers, and have the opportunity to design and implement their own curriculum.
Since all employees working at a facility where minors are present are considered to have a supervisory or disciplinary relationship over minors, the Academic Specialist will strive to be a positive role model to youth within the philosophy of YMCA standards and expectations.
Must be available to work at least four days a week, Monday – Friday from 11:45-6:30 p.m. (the afterschool program starts at 3:25 and ends at 6:25) for up to 26 hours per week, which includes planning time and a weekly staff meeting on Friday. Hours may vary slightly in accordance with the SFUSD calendar and program needs. Opportunities also available for continuing summer employment through our Power Scholars Academy program.
- Minimum 18 years old
- An AA degree or higher or Official transcripts reflecting 48 college units and a high school diploma/equivalent or Completion of CBEST and a high school diploma/equivalent or Completion of CODESP and a high school diploma/equivalent.
- Previous experience running recreational, enrichment, or academic activities with groups of youth, and knowledge of a variety of classroom and behavior management techniques.
- Ability to plan, organize and implement age-appropriate/developmentally appropriate program activities.
- Previous experience with diverse populations. Ability to develop positive, authentic relationships with people from different backgrounds.
- CPR, First Aid, AED certifications and Child Abuse prevention training within 30 days of hire date.
All employees working with the YMCA are considered to have supervisory or disciplinary action relationship over minors. Job offers are conditional and contingent upon background clearance. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and CA Fair Chance Act, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.