Careers with a Cause
The YMCA of San Francisco was named as one of the Bay Area's Best Places to Work by its employees as well as one of the Healthiest Employers. Join our team and make a lasting impact every day in communities across San Francisco, San Mateo and Marin Counties. Every day, our staff—of all ages and from diverse backgrounds and life experiences—are transforming lives through YMCA programs for youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. When you work for the Y, you’ll be supported with training, mentoring and career development opportunities. Plus, we offer great benefits to help you grow stronger in spirit, mind and body, even as you’re helping others.
About the Job
The Y’s cause is to strengthen community. Every day, we work side by side with our neighbors to make sure everyone, regardless of age, income, or background, has the opportunity to learn, grow, and thrive. To fulfill this promise, the Y requires strong cause-driven leadership to effect lasting personal and social change in our organization’s three areas of focus: youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. This means our leaders are committed to nurturing the unique potential of each child, promoting holistic healthy living for all ages, and fostering a sense of social responsibility and connectedness.
The Stonestown Family YMCA is the flagship branch of the YMCA of San Francisco, and serves a large and diverse community of members and participants in San Francisco’s Sunset, Twin Peaks, Lake Merced, and OMI neighborhoods. We serve a facility membership base of over 10,000, more than 2500 seniors across two senior centers, and more than 2000 youth a day in ten afterschool programs and two preschools. Our branch leadership culture is hard working, committed to impact, collaborative, and dedicated to each other’s personal and professional development. We are looking for an exceptional cause-driven leader who is excited to join an all-star team and ready to roll up their sleeves and work in service to strengthening the foundations of community.
In conjunction with the Senior Executive Director and the branch’s second Associate Executive Director (Youth Development), the Associate Executive Director (Healthy Living) position provides exceptional leadership and operational management for the Stonestown Branch in the areas of membership, group exercise, health and wellness, aquatics, seniors, Y-Kids, fundraising, finance, facilities, marketing & communication, community outreach, and staff development. This position also serves as staff support to the branch board and is the staff lead for one of the branch board committees, and is expected to play a lead role for various groups at the association level.
This position involves management and leadership of all aspects of branch activity, including, but not limited to: staff supervision & team building, volunteer relations, the annual community support campaign, fiscal management, marketing and communications, program design and development, accounting and administration, grant management, facility and equipment management, community relations, program and membership operations, and continual improvement in the branch’s overall operating performance, culture, and community impact.
- Minimum 21 yrs old
- Bachelor’s degree in related field or at least 5 years relevant work experience required.
- Fve or more years of professional YMCA experience required
- Excellent relationship building with staff, members, and volunteers; coaching and staff development
- Excellent oral & written communication skills in English required
- Exemplary planning and problem-solving skills.
- The candidate must think strategically, be member-focused, and be able to lead change.
- They must be effective with highly diverse staff, be results-driven, strike an effective balance between patience & determination, and be able to collaborate effectively.
- The candidate must be able to delegate appropriate responsibilities involved in day-to-day operations.
- They must guide or direct all actions within a continuing consciousness of the operational and strategic objectives of the Branch.
- Multi-team or Branch Leadership Certification with YUSA strongly preferred.
Please include include cover letter with your application.
All employees working with the YMCA are considered to have supervisory or disciplinary action relationship over minors. Job offers are conditional and contingent upon background clearance. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and CA Fair Chance Act, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records.