Careers with a Cause
The YMCA of San Francisco was named as one of the Bay Area's Best Places to Work by its employees as well as one of the Healthiest Employers. Join our team and make a lasting impact every day in communities across San Francisco, San Mateo and Marin Counties. Every day, our staff—of all ages and from diverse backgrounds and life experiences—are transforming lives through YMCA programs for youth development, healthy living, and social responsibility. When you work for the Y, you’ll be supported with training, mentoring and career development opportunities. Plus, we offer great benefits to help you grow stronger in spirit, mind and body, even as you’re helping others.
About the Job
The Afterschool Program Instructor leads groups of students in 6th through 8th grade at Marina Middle School in the Marina neighborhood. The Program Instructor is responsible creating a positive, Challenging, and safe afterschool environment for the students enrolled in the Marina ExCEL afterschool Program. The top priority of the program is to teach the participants viable skills through using a youth development philosophy in recreational, academic, and enrichment activities taking place after school. Since all employees working at a facility where minors are present are considered to have a supervisory or disciplinary relationship over minors, the Program Instructor will strive to be a positive role model to youth within the philosophy of YMCA standards and expectations.
Must be available to work at least two days a week, Monday -- Friday from 3:00-6:30 p.m. (program starts at 3:25 and ends at 6:25) for up to 21 hours per week, which includes planning time and a weekly staff meeting on a day to be determined. Hours may vary slightly in accordance with the SFUSD calendar and program needs.
- Minimum 18 years old
- An AA degree or higher or Official transcripts reflecting 48 college units and a high school diploma/equivalent or Completion of CBEST and a high school diploma/equivalent or Completion of CODESP and a high school diploma/equivalent.
- Previous experience running recreational, enrichment, or academic activities with groups of youth, and knowledge of a variety of classroom and behavior management techniques.
- Ability to plan, organize and implement age-appropriate/developmentally appropriate program activities.
- Previous experience with diverse populations. Ability to develop positive, authentic relationships with people from different backgrounds.
- CPR, First Aid, AED certifications and Child Abuse prevention training within 30 days of hire date
WORK ENVIRONMENT/MINIMUM PHYSICAL REQUIREMENTS
- You must have the physical, visual, and auditory ability to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodations.
- All employees working with the YMCA are considered to have supervisory or disciplinary action relationship over minors. All employees in SFUSD sites/contracted sites must be fingerprinted through DOJ and FBI AND be cleared before they can start work at the site.
- TB test results must be provided upon commencement of employment
All employees working with the YMCA are considered to have supervisory or disciplinary action relationship over minors. Job offers are conditional and contingent upon background clearance. Pursuant to the San Francisco Fair Chance Ordinance and CA Fair Chance Act, we will consider for employment qualified applicants with arrest and conviction records