As a member of the Marin YMCA Aquatic Department, the Lifeguard is responsible for providing members and guests with a safe, clean and positive aquatic environment.
Minimum age of 18; current certifications in CPR for the Professional, Title 22, YMCA or ARC Lifeguarding; excellent member relation and customer service skills; ability to save lives and respond effectively to emergency situations in and around the pool.
1. Provide a SAFE, clean, comfortable and enjoyable environment for our members while they are using the Marin YMCA aquatic program area.
2. Arrive on the pool deck ready to work, on time, dressed in your Marin YMCA lifeguard shirt, red lifeguard shorts, whistle, fanny pack and rescue buoy.
3. Keep your full attention on the pool and its occupants at all times.
4. Follow the protocol of their certifying agency, the YMCA of San Francisco, and the YMCA of the USA.
5. Enforce pool rules.
6. Regulate lap lanes.
7. Be knowledgeable of lifeguarding regulations established by the YMCA of the USA, American Red Cross, YMCA of San Francisco, and the State of California, reporting any problems to the Aquatic Director or Lifeguard Coordinator.
8. Be knowledgeable of all pool equipment and ensure that they are working properly, and report any problems to the director on duty or the Aquatic Director.
9. Record chemical readings, water temperature, pool inspections, accident/incident reports, and participant statistics, etc. as spelled out by your supervisor.
10. Complete incident reports for all accidents, care given, and major disciplinary actions.
11. Be responsible for your own shifts. This includes finding subs if you know your going to be out and verbal notice to your supervisor if you’re ill.
12. Attend all staff meetings and in-service training sessions as mandated by your supervisor. In-services are the last Sunday of the month at 6:30 PM.
13. Support the mission of the Marin YMCA and the YMCA of San Francisco
14. Demonstrate the “Character Counts” values of caring, respect, honesty and responsibility in all your dealings with members, guests, volunteers and fellow staff.
15. Participate in training and abides by the “New Perspectives” guidelines for the YMCA of San Francisco.
16. All other duties as assigned by your supervisor.
• Functional Expertise
• Decision Making
• Emotional Maturity
Effects on End Results:
1. Safe and happy members and participants who enjoy participating in aquatic programs at the Marin YMCA
2. A safe, clean, comfortable and enjoyable natatorium.
This position has a significant impact on the effectiveness with which the YMCA accomplishes its goals and objectives in service to the community, impacting the community’s understanding of the YMCA movement. This position will support procedures to communicate YMCA services to YMCA members and the community. This position will project a positive attitude that enriches the lives of the families we serve.
Skills and Requirements
1. Minimum 18 years of age
2. Current YMCA approved first aid certification*
3. Current YMCA approved CPR certification*
*Necessity and timing determined by branch
Working Environment/Minimum Physical Requirement:
You must have the physical, visual and auditory ability to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodations. Position regularly requires the ability to do word processing, data entry and filing for several hours at a time. Position may require, sitting, bending, leaning and kneeling on an occasional basis. Must be able to lift up to 40 pounds in order to perform essential functions.
All employees working with the YMCA are considered to have supervisory or disciplinary action relationship over minors. Fingerprints will be taken upon commencement of employment and will be submitted to the Association Office human resources department prior to beginning the first day of work. Employees may be rechecked every two years.
This position requires light physical activity such as filing. May require light lifting, stooping, crouching or bending periodically.
Andy Fillmore: 415-446-2130
Submit resume and cover letter to Andy Fillmore: firstname.lastname@example.org