Water Fitness Instructor
Provides direct leadership, instruction and motivation for students in water fitness classes, assisting in the development of a quality program, and answers participants' questions about the field of aquatic fitness. Acts as a responder with any medical emergencies at the branch.
Have the ability to motivate others in the areas of self-awareness and self-confidence through aquatic fitness programs. Individual must be able to interpret YMCA aquatic program philosophies, and relate to public, parents and students in a positive manner. Exercises mature judgment and sound decision-making.
1. Plans and leads water fitness classes.
2. Assists class participants with exercise techniques, and helps develop their knowledge of physiology and exercise. Monitors perceived rate of exertion of all participants.
3. Assist lifeguards in emergencies.
4. Organizes and puts away needed class equipment. Reports damaged equipment.
5. Follows all YMCA policies, rules, regulations, and procedures, including emergency procedures. Completes incident reports as necessary.
6. Starts and ends class on time. Arrives early to set up class and greet members.
7. Participates in staff meetings and trainings as scheduled.
8. Maintains effective relationships with participants. Provides information to the public and participants on YMCA programs and schedules.
9. Retains members through authentic relationships and providing effective, safe classes.
10. Demonstrate the YMCA values of caring, respect, honesty and responsibility in all your dealings with members, guests, volunteers and fellow staff.
11. All other duties as assigned by your supervisor.
Effects on End Results
This position has a significant impact on the quality and effectiveness of the Aquatic Department. Ability to interpret YMCA aquatic program philosophies, and relate them to participants in a positive manner, while providing a fun, safe atmosphere for members is key to the success of this position.
Skills and Requirements
1. Minimum 18 years of age.
2. Current YMCA approved first aid certification*
3. Current YMCA approved BLS CPR certification*
4. YMCA Aquatic Safety Assistant**
5. YMCA Fitness Leader certification or equivalent**
6. Y's Way to Water Exercise Instructor/Leader, or equivalent**
7. Ability to demonstrate proper water fitness techniques.
* Within 30 days of employment, or first available training.
**Within 90 days of employment, or first available training.
Working Environment/Minimum Physical Requirement
You must have the physical, visual and auditory ability to perform the essential functions of the job with or without reasonable accommodations. Position regularly requires the ability to lead aquatic fitness programs by demonstrating class content.
All employees working with the YMCA are considered to have supervisory or disciplinary action relationship over minors. Fingerprints will be taken upon commencement of employment and will be submitted to the Association Office human resources department prior to beginning the first day of work. Employees may be rechecked every two years.
Debra Sellers: 415-446-2145
Submit resume and cover letter to Debra Sellers: firstname.lastname@example.org