Afterschool Program Leaders
Under the guidance of the Site Coordinator, the Program Leader will assist with the implementation of the ExCEL after school program. The Program Leader is responsible for helping to maintain a safe, clean After School Program site; ensuring a high level of program quality and working to establish a positive relationship with all program participants and their families. The Program Leader will provide a positive role model to youth & teens within the philosophy of the YMCA standards and expectations with emphasis on Character Counts. This will be done under the direction of the Site Coordinator.
Skills and Requirements
• Must be 18 years or older
• Previous experience working with school aged children in an academic or recreational setting preferred.
• 2 years of college education
• Experience in supervising groups of children.
• CPR / First Aid and AED Certified
1. Supervise the children, with first priority in their safety, at all times following risk management policies.
2. Participate and encourage positive participation of all students in daily activities and events.
3. Under supervision of the Site Coordinator, develop daily lesson plans.
4. Lead organized learning activities for students to develop and strengthen their academic, physical, and social skills.
5. As needed, differentiate lessons and activities so they are appropriate to students with various abilities.
6. Review program work plans with Site Coordinator, Lead Teacher, or classroom teacher for effective program implementation.
7. Participate in and evaluate the effectiveness of activities and events.
8. Instruct students on the safe and proper use of supplies and equipment.
9. Implement discipline techniques and classroom management.
10. Participate in cleaning and maintaining the facilities and equipment.
11. Inspect the school site and the equipment for potential safety hazards; taking corrective action to prevent injuries.
12. Interact professionally and appropriately with parents, teachers and school staff.
13. Participate in school site staff meetings and on-going training opportunities.
14. Comply with all San Francisco Unified School District (SFUSD) & YMCA of San Francisco policies and procedures.
15. Attend staff meetings, mandatory trainings, and other YMCA events such as parent night, and special events as required by the program.
16. Follow YMCA policies and procedures including discipline procedure.
17. Provide opportunities for youth development as defined by the YMCA of San Francisco.
18. Demonstrate the “Character Counts” values of caring, respect, honesty, and responsibility in all your interactions with participants, members, guests, volunteers and fellow staff.
19. All other relevant duties assigned by your supervisor.
Mandy Liu and Nelson Yeung